Monday, February 8, 2010

A Smithtown Museum and a Port Jeff Photo Gallery

I have definitely been neglecting my blogging duties. Then again it is winter and too cold to be exploring Long Island or most places for that matter! Then again I did say somewhere along the line that besides talking about the different places to visit, I would talk about Long Island in general. I guess I have no excuse for not stopping by here!

Well I’m here now, and while I’m here there are a couple of places I can mention. Both places you can visit in the winter, but if you don’t want to brave the cold from your house to the car, keep them in mind when the warmer weather arrives. (Can you tell I’m not a fan of the cold!)

On Sunday, December 6th the Nature Museum at Caleb Smith State Park Preserve in Smithtown was reopened. The renovations have been a few years in the making, and thanks to the hard work of the park staff and the fundraising efforts of the Friends of Caleb Smith Preserve, the ribbon cutting ceremony finally took place on that cool, crisp early December day. The museum located on the first floor of the club house contains nature-themed rooms mounted with wildlife specimens and interactive exhibits for little ones and not-so-little ones to explore and enjoy. For the history buff there is also a terra cotta bas relief of Indian Chief Wyandanch hanging over the restored fireplace mantel and a freestanding exhibit of a wooden door damaged during a British attack in the 1700s. After visiting the museum, definitely take the time to walk along the beautiful paths that take you away from the hustle and bustle of nearby Jericho Turnpike where you can discover different habitats including freshwater wetlands, ponds, streams, fields and upland woods. The park is open Wednesdays through Sundays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is located east of Old Willets Path and west of the Smithtown Bull on the north side of Jericho Turnpike.

In the beginning of January, my co-worker Joseph Rowland opened up a photo gallery in Port Jefferson. The grand opening on Saturday, January 9th had a great turnout as most of those in attendance had already experienced Joseph’s work online and couldn’t wait to see his photos in person. The gallery located at 318 Wynn Lane offers a wide selection of landscape, cityscape, wildlife and floral images. It’s a definite must see while you’re walking around or waiting for a table at Pace’s. I wish I understood more about photography to describe Joseph’s works of art, but I think he can do a better job of it. Visit his Web site at http://rowlandphotography.wordpress.com/ where you can find out more about the gallery and his techniques.

Considering I attended both openings, I wasn’t in total hibernation this winter! Maybe I will check out a couple of other things before the end of March, and I’ll be sure to share it right here. Until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment