Sunday, March 9, 2014

Welcome to Commack



I was exchanging emails with someone the other day, and I mentioned how I blogged. After looking at this page, I may have been exaggerating a bit. It sure has been a while.

You know how it is…life gets in the way sometimes. A recent move has kept me busy lately, but at the same time has inspired me to blog again.  You see I may have moved, but I’m still in Smithtown. It’s just a different part of the township that’s all.

I’m in Commack now on the Smithtown side. What can I say here on Long Island a few of our hamlets have split personalities. The fact that Commack is divided between the townships of Huntington and Smithtown can be credited to Smithtown founder Richard Smythe.

When I was writing for Commack Patch, my former social studies teacher Noel Gish explained that like most land disputes on the island it began over confusion over who was given land from Native Americans. Nessaquakes, Matinecocks and Secatogues once lived in and around what we now know as Commack.  The land from Cow Harbor in Northport to west of the Nissequogue River was granted to Jonas Woods, William Rogers and Thomas Wilkes of Huntington in 1656. This territory was given to them by the Sachem Asharoken of the Matinecocks. Around the same time Richard Smythe acquired the land that would become Smithtown from his friend Lion Gardiner. The Sachem Wyandanch presented Gardiner this area which he believed extended to the west of the Nissequogue. The overlapped area of these two claims is now the Smithtown part of Commack.

For twenty years a debate continued as to whether the Huntington group or Smythe owned the land. The founder of Smithtown persisted in Dutch courts and then English courts and won his claim in the late 1670s.

Basically it’s the reason why Commack residents west of Townline and Commack Roads have trouble getting permission to park at Hoyt Farm, and those east of the roads can’t borrow books from the Commack branch of the Huntington Library. I guess back in the old days they didn’t foresee these little annoyances. :)

Even the name Commack has two pronunciations. While you’ll hear most people say Ko-mack nowadays, you’ll still find some old-timers who say Kom-mack, which kind of sounds like “comic”. There’s a reason for this. The area was originally called Winnecomac, and when the name was shortened, Comac was initially used. The spelling was changed to Commack to avoid being confused with Coram. Apparently there were some mail mix-ups back in the old days.

So here I am Commack and here I am readers. Let’s continue this journey through the township of Smithtown real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment