Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Small Journey Around the Labyrinth


Sometimes you need a few hours away from your daily routine. While many may think of Long Island as suburbia filled with homes, malls and shopping centers, the island is also filled with spots where you can get a little escape from your everyday life.
My friend Silvia and I have wanted to check out labyrinths in the area for a couple of years now, and today was the day we finally walked our first one.

My first choice was the one at Avalon Park and Preserve in Stony Brook Village, but the labyrinth was being re-seeded. Silvia got online and searched for “labyrinths on Long Island” and found one for us right in Sayville.

The Peace Labyrinth in Sayville is a simple one in a small park called The Common Ground, and it serves its spiritual purpose. Slowly walking along the path that twists and turns, you may think you may not make it to the center, but you will. It’s always a good idea to go into the labyrinth with a request with something you need help with. When you finally walk out of it, you’ll have your answer. Most likely the answer will be a simple one, but to understand, you need to walk one yourself. The park holds moonlight labyrinth walks on nights of a full moon, and with such a serene feeling after an afternoon walk, I do wonder how I would come out of it on a night when the moon is at its fullest.
Afterwards we headed for downtown Sayville, which like many Main Streets on Long Island is filled with cute little shops and restaurants. Silvia and I were saying we felt like we were on vacation exploring a new place instead of just a short distance from our own homes.

It have been a simple day, but a perfect example of how a short car ride can lead to a small town experience or even a bit of a spiritual one.

2 comments:

  1. Rita, I am so glad that we got to experience this together.

    By the way, I looked up the purpose of the labyrinth, and there were several meanings depending who wrote it. I found one article that I liked because of the two things that was written ( http://www.viewzone.com/labyrinth.html ).

    1." The labyrinth's purpose is to resolve conflict while the maze is designed to confuse."

    2."I think the labyrinth is just such an exercise in "team building" between the left and right brains, forcing them to cooperate on a task in which they must both learn to trust and compromise. In this way, it may indeed be therapeutic."

    I relate to those two statements because #1: As you know that at times I got a little frazzled by this labyrinth *maze* essence yet I was pleased to find out that it somehow lead me directly to the center and out from the center like in some full circle fashion.
    And #2: That you and I were able to complete this correctly as a team. And when I got a little confused toward the end is when you made that gentle suggestion how to complete the maze. I felt it was all *part of the labyrinth experience*.

    In all this gave me a lesson to breathe deep when I feel anxious, and to trust all the clues I am seeing, hearing, sensing toward the unknown. That my dreams are already here and to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sayville has yet another less known Labyrinth! This one is located behind St. Ann's Church on Middle Road. It's to the right of the cemetery gates. There is also a Labyrinth behind St. John's Church on Montauk Highway in Oakdale. Both churches are really charming and I recommend both. St. John's is the process of being refurbished. Now you have a reason to come back and visit us here in Sayville! Annmarie

    ReplyDelete