Sunday, August 19, 2012

Long Island Kids Style



For the past few years, every summer I get the chance to discover Long Island through the eyes of a child. Well, at least for a few days when my cousin's son and/or daughter come to visit. While both of them have spent a few days with me the last few years, this year Samantha visited on her own.  Being 13 now, Brandon has a very busy schedule with baseball, friends and girlfriends. You know how it is!

Of course, being a 10-year-old girl there was a visit to Justice at the Smith Haven Mall, and one night we met up with cousins at Chuck E Cheese, but fortunately there was more to the vacation then shopping and games.

This summer we had the chance to visit Atlantis Marine World again. Or as they call it now, Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center. It's been two years since our last visit, and while they have added the exhibition with the butterflies and birds, I must admit we skipped it. Passing by the shark tank we did see someone taking part in the shark experience where you are lowered into the water in a cage to get a closer look at the sharks. And while it sounds kind of cool, I don't know about sharing water with sharks!

I must admit the highlights for me are still the penguins and sea lions. Samantha and I caught the sea lion show and were amazed at what they can do.  Or course, overall, it was just relaxing walking around checking out the aquatic animals. Even though I only seem to make it here when the kids are visiting, I think it's a great place for all ages to visit, even perfect for a date.

One night, to the relief of my friends and Facebook buddies who I kept asking about this place, I brought Samantha and my landlords' daughter to Boomers out by Exit 65 on the Expressway. There's an arcade, kiddie rides, bumper boats and  miniature golf, but I would have to say the best part of this small park are the go karts. The other attractions at Boomers are nice to take a break in between riding the go karts, but they probably won't hold the attention of anyone out of elementary school for long. However, as far as the go karts, I did feel we got more time on the track than we did at Karts in Ronkonkoma last year, so it was definitely worth the $24.99 P.O.P. And besides getting enough time on the track each time, we went four or five times!

Both the aquarium and Boomers have rock walls, which is great. However, while you don't pay extra for the one at the aquarium, you do pay $6 more for the one at Boomers. Not quite sure I would pay extra again. The kids get three tries, but considering we had to find someone to come help, I really don't think the $6 is justified.

One afternoon we were able to pay a quick visit to Sweetbriar Nature Center in Smithtown. The park is one of those gems that exist because of the generosity of former residents. While the house is filled with educational material on animals and nature, and the outside hosts animals and birds that have been injured, the main draw is the butterfly vivarium. One of the girls working in the vivarium told me there were approximately 200 butterflies this year, and the day we were there they were fluttering around in full force in an array of colors. We kept trying to get photos of the blue ones, but they were too quick for us.

Of course, a trip to the island wouldn't be complete without stopping by Adventureland. The one thing I love about this place is that if you don't go on any rides you don't have to pay. I just paid $3 to go on the train around the park and that was it. As for Samantha and my landlord's daughter, they got the $23.99 P.O.P. bracelets, and considering we were there for over four hours, I still feel like I got my money's worth at Adventureland.  Granted it may not be as huge as a Six Flags park, and the rides may not be as scary, but it's definitely an easy way to have a few hours of fun on Long Island.

Now next year we'll have to make it to the glow-in-the-dark miniature golf in Deer Park or Medford. The kids definitely can have too much fun on this island!

No comments:

Post a Comment